Sunday, May 16, 2010

Gelcoat on Hull Port Side Part 2

The picture toward the left depicts the repair of the hull at the location where I sprayed gel coat that was matched to the color of the hull. Notice that the two repair spots are barely noticeable.

My first attempt at color matching the gel coat was not successful because I had not sprayed enough gel coat, which made the original repair show through the new color match gel coat.

My second attempt was an improvement. I sprayed a thick layer upon layer of gel coat using the Preval sprayer to cover the original gel coat repair. The thick layer of gel coat left an orange peel textured that required sanding with 320, 400, 500, and then 600 sand paper. Lastly, I used a buffer machine to smooth the final gel coat.

The repair was my first using a disposable sprayer. The picture doesn't depict much variation, but, that is the point of color matching.