Sunday, July 17, 2011

Great Ketch Back in the Water


It has been many months since my last post. Two major obstacles needed to be met before Great Ketch could be launched this Spring: repairs as a result of a grounding the previous year, and the Winter months had to pass. Great Ketch is back in the water and looking "great".

The grounding, August 2010, resulted in the rudder breaking in half, dents on the keel, bent hardware, and 16 inches off the lower skeg. Great Ketch was transported to a local repair shop, Fast Forward located in Brewerton, NY, where the company worked on her during the last summer months.

Fast Forward did an excellent job of restoring the boat to perfect condition; they rebuilt the rudder, shaped the keel, and much more. In addition, the folks at Fast Forward provided excellent customer service. I was allowed to stop by to view the progress of their work, they took pictures of the work for me, they ensured the boat was returned promptly, and they listened to my concerns and comments. The attention they gave Great Ketch and myself was impressive.


While Great Ketch was on the hard during the winter, I researched to learn more about the boat and the people who were associated in the build, design and other aspects of the boat. I met with the designer of the carbon fiber masts, Eric Sponberg, corresponded with the builder, John Newton, and had recently been contacted by one of the previous owners. I shall post information regarding the results of my research in the future.