Thursday, August 31, 2017

Ugly Cockpit Part 2

 The work had continued during the late fall and winter months of 2016. Finding the voids, and drilling or routing them out so no hollow spots or tunnels made by voids remained took much time. The cockpit floor had many and I had proceeded to fill voids with filler in stages. The larger voids would be filled and sanded, then I would smooth over filler on the smaller voids.



Outside and inside corners were more challenging than the flat surface. One needed to be careful to shape the filler. On inside corners it was more of a challenge to sand the filler.

I must have enlarged my bicep by four inches after the sanding season was over. There was much work and effort performed here, and I have heard that preparation before spraying is 90 percent of the work. This effort felt like 190 percent of the work. Still I would sit in the cockpit on a nice sunset evening enjoying the moment, and occasionally notice the ugly looking cockpit; at such time I decided it is time to at least improve my recreational surroundings, and besides, it will increase my skills at body work and gel coat work.