Monday, August 21, 2017

Ugly Cockpit

During the months of October to January, I started work on refreshing the cockpit. Everything would come out of the area. I took a few pictures so viewers can see how ugly the cockpit had become.

There were many voids, scratches, chips and cracks in the gel coat. The sun had also played a nice part in helping to make the cockpit look terrible. The wood that surrounded the cockpit was always adding time to the sanding and vanishing. Moist air form the cockpit lockers would permeate through the screw holes (holding the wood to the cockpit coaming) that the varnish would lift up from the wood. I decided to remove the troublesome wood.

The binnacle had been removed and it was not too easy. Bolts and cables were removed, and the boat was already on jack stands so easy does it when hoisting down a ladder. One can see the condition of the gel coat from the picture. Upon closer examination, I was able to see many pin holes from voids on the sole of the cock pit. Each void would require close inspection to determine if it traversed under the gel coat to other areas. I had no desire to revisit this area as a result of voids that I missed at this time of the work.

Of course when looking at a job like this one starts to ask the question "What have I gotten myself into?" I knew the if I could take the unit home, I could work on it in my garage. I would need to sand the paint off and paint new. Inspect the compass for leaks and replace or repair.

Here is the binnacle ready removed and resting on the cockpit seat.

During the winter month I did polish the ss wheel and U-Bar, cleaned the compass, replaced the wiring and cables, and repainted it. The plastic parts that were caps, or lids were repainted black.

A future update will display a reconditioned unit. Please keep checking back here. I have been so busy lately that the posts have stopped; however, I have taken many more pictures and will share more very soon.

Side note - If one were to pay someone to re gel coat an entire cockpit the labor costs alone would be very high. The amount of grinding, sanding, body work, and finally spray gel coat process demands a lot of time. I did the work because I am able, and when I sit in my boat I do not wish to be reminded of all the things that need attention. Once pictures of the finished job is posted, one may appreciate the "labor of love" aspect.