Thursday, June 10, 2021

Using Awlgrip

Allfair
 I decided to use the Awlgrip products after spending the winter time researching different paints. The first product to use is the Awlgrip Awlfair to fill in voids and larger holes and imperfections and accidents. Awlfair is a two part mix and spreads easily.

After the Awlfair was applied and sanded, I sprayed one coat of Awlgrip primer 545. This coat allowed me to see any imperfections with greater detail because the mast is white  - one color. I applied the Awlfair once again to any areas I missed.

High Build
Once satisfied with the work using the Awlfair and with the mast sanded and cleaned I applied five coats of Awlgrip High Build. This two part epoxy mix was sprayed and on the final coat sanded. High Build did a great job of filling very tiny imperfections.

Once the mast was sanded smooth on the High Build and wiped clean, I sprayed five coats of the AwlGrip 545 finishing primer. 
Awlgrip 545

The product I am most interested in using is the  Awlcraft 2000 paint. This is a softer paint and reported to be polishable. The soft attribute of the paint is more important to me because the masts are carbon fiber and s glass - they flex.  I was looking for a paint that was not brittle hard. A paint that is elastic is less prone to developing micro cracks.

At the time of the posting of this post I have just finished spraying the priming 545 on the masts. Future post will show the Awlcraft 2000 surface paint.